Well we finally got there, we have managed to remove all of the remaining heads and cylinders. Typically the last head to remove No.3 was a tad on the tight side, but with the aid of a couple of bottle jacks it soon gave up.
Cylinders 6,7,8 and nine came off very easily due to the oil seeping down the sleeves over the last thirty five years or so.
No 9 actually came off as per the manual, remove base nuts and slide off!
The last base nut removed
The last cylinder to come off was No.3 , like the head it was a bit reluctant to come off, but with a bit of pressure from the 30 tonne jack we teased it off.
And there we have it, phase one completed.
Time to re hydrate!
The next few jobs are to remove the magnetos and carburetor, then we will start stripping down the front of the engine.
Well steady progress this weekend with a few more heads removed and three more cylinders removed.
Here we are using the air line adapter to aid a head removal, obviously this can only be used when the piston is at , or near TDC.
Here we are using our “C” spanner that we made to slacken of the induction pipe rings, when they have move a quarter of a turn, we can use another “C” spanner with out the extension handle.
It was time to try out the rotating engine frame! So Pete requested a rotation to starboard of 51 degrees 25 minutes and 43 seconds exactly!
Not a problem the frame works a treat!
With the engine tilted over we can have a good peak at the carburetor, it is
nice and clean inside and all moves freely.
Shelve’s are filling up with more and more parts.
This weekend we had a good couple of days working on the 264, we managed to remove No. 5 , No.11 ,No.12 and No.13 cylinder heads.
No.12 Cylinder head proved to be quite tough to remove , we pulled it off until flush with the head studs,
then made a new beam so we could push the head off from the main engine casing.
Cylinders No.s 5 and 11 came straight off with a slide hammer, these cylinders had a lot more oil present.
Here you can see the supercharge inside the rear casing, it looks in very good condition.
Also we had a look inside the magnetos , they are absolutely in perfect condition.
We then pulled off No.5 Cylinder, even though it looks bad, it came of with little effort, just used the jack once to brake the hold on the rings then used the 3/4″ UNF threaded rod to tease it off.
Cylinders 11,12 and 13 ready to be removed.
Only a few more to go!
Once we had a good look over the 264,after modifying an old spark plug socket we removed the spark plugs from No.4 and poked an endoscope camera down to see what the internal looked like. It was grim but ever the optimist we pressed on, We looked very closely at the problems that Terry Jones had at Aero Engines Carlisle when he tried to strip down a 230. so we changed tack a little and made a puller plate that sat on top of the cylinder head studs with two bolts tapped to suite the spark plug threads, one of them gun drilled so we could pressurize the cylinder if it is at TDC or there abouts.
Low and behold with a bang the head popped off.
Next Job try and remove a cylinder!