Category Archives: Engine Stand

New Engine Stand Build Up


First we lifted the engine off the new stand.

paint2 paint1

Then we prepped and primed the new stand.




After the engine mounts wear cleaned and painted we refitted them using a very clever mounting pins.

IMG_1238 IMG_1240

After the frame get its top coat  silver and lacquer, we refit the engine.

IMG_1245 IMG_1247

Also we refitted the bump stop underneath the engine to absorb shock loads while on the road.

IMG_1244 IMG_1243 IMG_1242

Next we refitted the tank and actuator mounts after being  zinc plated coated.

IMG_1330 IMG_1328

Now it was time to assemble the fuel control tank and the fuel tank. The left hand tank houses the priming pump and control valves.


After quite a few hours welding we had them finished.

IMG_1338 IMG_1340


Last job on the left hand tank was to fit the access door.


After testing the fuel tank for leaks, the tp was welded on and the filler cap fitted.

IMG_1371 IMG_1372

The tanks were now fitted to the stand using stainless steel straps.


Heads 6,7,10 and 14 removed, also cylinders 12,13 and 14 removed.

Well steady progress this weekend with a few more heads removed and three more cylinders removed.

1st Dec 009a

Here we are using the air line adapter to aid a head removal, obviously this can only be used when the piston is at , or near TDC.

1st Dec 010

Here we are using our “C” spanner that we  made to slacken of the induction pipe rings, when they have move a quarter of a turn, we can use another “C” spanner with out the extension handle.

1st Dec 011


It was time to try out the rotating engine frame! So Pete requested a rotation to starboard of  51 degrees 25 minutes and 43 seconds exactly!

1st Dec 007 1st Dec 006

Not a problem the frame works a treat!

1st Dec 008  

With the engine tilted over we can have a good peak at the carburetor, it is

nice and clean inside and all moves freely.

1st Dec 002 1st Dec 003


Shelve’s are filling up with more and more parts.


Engine Stand

For us to strip down the 264 we decided to make a engine stand that would allow us to rotate the engine through 360′.First we bought some castors rated at 750 kg’s each, then make some mounting plates for them.castor

Next we fabricated the front frame to attach to the engine mount and add a 3″ bush to allow us to rotate the engine.

front framebush 1hole cutterfront frame 2 front frame2a

Next we test fit the frame to the main engine stand to make sure we have got our clearances  worked out right.

front + back frame1front + back frame 2 front + back frame 3


All seems good, so lets pop the old Bristol On!

test fit 3 test fit 2

We then fabricated an “A” frame support for the front of the engine ready for its short trip up into the top shed.

frame + a frame

With the aid of the Kawasaki Quad and forklift truck and Big “G”  (AKA Graham Potter) we move the engine into the top shed.

ramp 2 ramp 1

top shed 1It was a tight squeeze but she made it.

Big G asking Pete, where the hell do you start dismantling!

Big G where do you start


Every project should have a beer wall!

beer wall

I think we may need to address the size of the prop we have acquired!

Small prop

Here we are having a small refreshment to re-hydrate!

crew + big G