The first job this weekend was to clean out our parts washer, as you can see we have removed a lot of muck and crud from this old girl!
After flattening down the out side of the super charger we flushed out all the oil ways.
The gear box drive shaft took some cleaning, as there is an inner tube inside the the drive shaft to create an annular oil gallery, this was well bunged up with muck but using the 12 bore shot gun barrel cleaner we soon had it cleaned out.
After a couple of hours work we had the Super charger and Gearbox ready to be refitted.
After cleaning the rear crankcase bolts, we lubed them with grease and refitted them, then refitted the “O” ring and applied new sealant ready for the Super charger.
Peter looking serious here as we get ready to fit the Supercharger, must be time for a beer!
And on she goes, next job rejig the chain pull higher up in the roof to lift the gearbox on.
Here we have to pass the gearbox over to the chain hoist and lift it way into the roof!
We had just enough height to clear the engine…
And there we have it, next job is to paint the engine mount ring and engine mount frame.
Engine mount frame painted, just the engine mount ring to do now then we can etch prime the back half of the engine, fit the engine mount and rotate the engine back to the horizontal position.
The first thing we did was to make a suitable sized parts washer.
Initially we are using red diesel to clean the crud off and flush out the oil ways. As you can see, one of the children couldn’t resist going for a swim.
The main bearing is silky smooth after being cleaned
The next job we had to do was make some locking blocks for the sleeve drive shafts, to stop them drooping to one side when we rotate the engine, if this happens the rollers drop out from the sleeve drive shaft bearings and they are quite fiddly to get back in!
Using a endoscope you can see the amount of muck down the center of the drive shafts, all this needs to be cleaned out.
Using various 12 bore shot gun cleaning tools they cleaned up a treat.
At the bottom of the shaft there still was a bit of muck stuck near the oil way so we made a special tool to clean the bottom face out.
Using the engine cleaning bath pump to flush out all of the oil ways.
Next job was to clean out the crank oil ways, after removing the crank blanking plugs you can see the amount of crap that has formed since the engine last ran.
After fully cleaning the internals and oil jets of the crank and flushing out it was time to put the first bit of the engine back together!
The next task was to remove the pistons from the con rods, quite a simple job just remove the snap rings and immerse in hot oil for a minute and tap out the gudgeon pins.
Half an hour later the kids are all lined up for a roll call!
Now comes the long job of cleaned the pistons.